6.22.2009

Now Playing (on the Artistic Printing Blog)


As I ready my next real post here I thought I'd plug my other endeavor: the Artistic Printing blog, which focuses on the particulars and peculiarities of 19th century decorative letterpress printing. I'm smitten with the current post topic, Mr. George West, aka "West, the Printer." We discovered just a few of his printing specimens (more images on the blog), and very little biographical information, but Mr. West comes across as a man I'd like to know. (Above, West's Improved Memoranda Calendar, 1889, featuring Mr. West himself, and a technologically forward-thinking photograph of his downtown Easton, Pennsylvania shop).

A businessman with self-promotional flair, an artist with eccentric formal sense, and a skilled craftsman who produced accomplished work, West was a singular character we wish we knew more about...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...